What Happens If You Swallow Sublingual B12?

what happens if you swallow sublingual b12
5/5 - (1 vote)

Sublingual B12 supplements are a popular choice for individuals seeking to increase their vitamin B12 intake, especially those with dietary restrictions or conditions that affect B12 absorption. However, if you’re considering taking sublingual B12 and are unsure about the consequences of swallowing it, this article provides insights into what happens if you swallow sublingual B12.

Understanding Sublingual B12

Sublingual B12 supplements are designed to be dissolved under the tongue, allowing the vitamin to be absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the mucous membranes. This method bypasses the digestive system, making it a preferred option for individuals with digestive issues or those who have difficulty absorbing B12 through the gut.

Consequences of Swallowing Sublingual B12

While sublingual B12 is intended to be absorbed through the mucous membranes under the tongue, swallowing it inadvertently is unlikely to cause any harm. Here’s why:

Absorption in the Digestive System

If you accidentally swallow sublingual B12 instead of allowing it to dissolve under your tongue, it will still be absorbed in the digestive system, albeit less efficiently than through the sublingual route. The B12 will pass through the stomach and intestines, where it will undergo the normal process of digestion and absorption.

Lower Absorption Efficiency

Swallowing sublingual B12 may result in lower absorption efficiency compared to allowing it to dissolve under the tongue. This is because the digestive process can degrade some of the B12 before it is absorbed, reducing its bioavailability.

No Known Adverse Effects

There are no known adverse effects associated with swallowing sublingual B12. Vitamin B12 is water-soluble, meaning that any excess B12 that is not absorbed by the body will be excreted through urine. Therefore, even if you accidentally swallow sublingual B12, it is unlikely to cause harm.

Best Practices for Taking Sublingual B12

To maximize the effectiveness of sublingual B12 supplements, it is recommended to follow these best practices:

  • Place Under the Tongue: Whenever possible, place the sublingual B12 tablet or liquid under your tongue and allow it to dissolve completely before swallowing. This allows for direct absorption into the bloodstream.
  • Avoid Swallowing Immediately: Try to avoid swallowing immediately after placing the sublingual B12 under your tongue to give it time to be absorbed.
  • Follow Dosage Recommendations: Always follow the dosage recommendations provided by your healthcare provider or the product label to ensure you are getting the appropriate amount of B12.


In conclusion, if you accidentally swallow sublingual B12 instead of allowing it to dissolve under your tongue, it is unlikely to cause any harm. The B12 will still be absorbed through the digestive system, although its absorption efficiency may be slightly lower compared to the sublingual route. For more information on B12 supplementation and plant-based nutrition, visit Plant Based Pty.

Understanding the consequences of swallowing sublingual B12 provides reassurance for individuals seeking to supplement their B12 intake using this convenient method.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *